Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Boy Who Raised Himself

If the body's a few grams less
the moment after death, what about the everyday weigh-ins?

Add your post-barber weight to the by-product of the trimming;
it's a little less than your mass before you sat in the chair
unless you are really pleased with the cut.

I am inspired by only one poet
who only wrote one book
and I wonder if my words come
from the soul of his favorite pen
that one day ran out of ink
and if maybe my pen is jealous.

So all these words, like all my words,
are a switchtrack between quoting
him and quoting his thoughts in me.

The lines that you like are mine
and the ones you don't are typos.

Welcome to Psychedelic Truth,
population: the internet.
A suburb of the city which
has no name, The Metacommittee
governs how people think of authority

and decrees that phone numbers
cannot be chosen, will not be another embarrassment
like vanity plates. Codes of communication
should be random.

That's how David Berman would have
ended it. Not with this line.

p.s. Or maybe he would have but definitely not with
this one.

This one.