Sunday, September 28, 2008

Extended Metaphor #178

My brother tried to argue, perhaps for the sake of the argument itself, that pragmatism was useless. Ideas, passions, and loves, he said, were what our world revolved around. We no longer required such heavy things as food or sleep, our needs had become lighter than air. And what is more important (he asked me what I thought) food or beauty?
I said that perhaps he was right, as you say to a brother for brotherly reasons. I said that perhaps our world revolved around ideas and beauties and such. According to the theory of general relativity, the Earth revolves around the moon just as much as the moon revolves around the Earth. No one fixed point has preference. But it's the Earth's heavy gravity where we live, and we can only look up at the airless and pretty moon.